NEW OBSERVATIONS AND NOVEL WAYS OF ASSIMILATING:
THE DATA ASSIMILATION RESEARCH CENTRE.
D.A.R.C., READING UNIV.
OUR TOOLS ...
- Met Office variational data assimilation system.
- Met Office U.M.
- Stratosphere/troposphere, 40 levels (later 64 levels).
- 'Climate' resolution ().
- 'Old' dynamics.
- Cariolle scheme.
OUR AIMS ...
(amongst other things)
- Assimilate new research satellite data (esp. EnviSat).
- Retrieved products in the first instance.
- Limb radiances.
- (all additional to operational observations).
- Use dynamical ideas to improve the performance of the variational scheme.
- Representation of .
MET OFFICE 3D-VAR. SYSTEM
Cost function in model space
Cost function in 'control' space
The gradient of :
(i) WHY ARE WE INTERESTED IN NOVEL SATELLITE DATA?
- Cal./Val. for EnviSat instruments.
- Global fields of trace gases in U.T.L.S.
- Investigate the value of assimilating a combination of different types of satellite data.
- Develop new techniques.
E.g. with water vapour in the U.T.L.S. (UM simulation only):
The combination of research satellite data, an operational data assimilation system, and on-line chemistry is new.
(i) RETRIEVED PRODUCTS (STRATOSPHERIC ASSIMILATION)
Forward models (layer averaging)
(ii) VARIATIONAL CONTROL VARIABLES
( will have a similar structure)
- Expect that the leading (balanced) control variable captures most of the flow under all flow regimes.
- Expect that the assumption of weak correlation between variables is globally valid.
Need , and
The D.A.R.C. is an interdisciplinary collection of researchers. It will try to bridge the gap between many communities.
- Instrumentation / remote sensing.
- Environmental and climate science.
- Dynamical and control theory.
- Weather forecasting and modelling.
For more information: