Daily weather observations at the University of Reading date back to 1908. Here are a selection of news stories and observations for Reading since they began - with one or two earlier, newsworthy, items.
They will be updated each day. Let me know if you have any other snippets of news/information.
Any mention of a record refers to observations at the University of Reading - elsewhere in the United Kingdom values may have been higher or lower.
In Reading on 23 October in ...
- After heavy rainfall, one Reading rainfall observer noted that today (and the 24th) resulted in the greatest flood since 1852.
- One of the lowest 0900 GMT October pressure readings on record - 975.1 mb - as a large area of low pressure led to a windy day in SE England with heavy showers.
- One of the lowest 0900 GMT October pressure readings on record - 977.5 mb as an area of low pressure moved eastwards across England during the day.
- The equal highest 0900 GMT October pressure readings on record - 1040.1 mb. The day was dull but mild as high pressure led to a settled day's weather in Reading.
- The first of four sunless days.
Some historical data/observations for anniversary dates can be found here