Dr Nicholas Klingaman
Senior Research Fellow (NCAS Climate)
My research: http://www.met.rdg.ac.uk/~ss901165
- Organised tropical convection, with a focus on the Madden-Julian oscillation
- Air-sea interactions and their role in sub-seasonal predictability
- Regional climate variability and change, particularly in Australia
- Improving the ability of weather and climate models to simulate the above
- Vertical structure and diabatic processes of the Madden-Julian oscillation: An international model-evaluation project on the ability of weather and climate models to simulate key diabatic heating and moistening processes associated with organised tropical convection.
- Future Weather: Examining how air-sea coupling affects projections of changes in regional weather and climate extremes.
- NCAS Core-funded activities: Improving the ability of the U.K. Met Office model to simulate organised tropical convection, such as the MJO and monsoon sub-seasonal variability.
Postdoctoral & graduate student supervision
- Linda Hirons working on the Future Weather project (see above).
- Public communication of climate research, mainly through lectures and social media (@nick_klingaman on Twitter).
- The intersection of climate and history, such as in "The Year Without a Summer" in 1816.
Hirons, L.C., Klingaman, N.P. and Woolnough, S.J. (2015) MetUM-GOML: a near-globally coupled atmosphere–ocean-mixed-layer model. Geoscientific Model Development Discussions, 8. pp. 363-379. ISSN 1991-962X doi: 10.5194/gmd-8-363-2015
Burgess, M. and Klingaman, N. P. (2014) Atmospheric circulation patterns associated with extreme cold winters in the UK. Weather. ISSN 1477-8696 (In Press)
Klingaman, N. and Woolnough, S. (2014) The role of air–sea coupling in the simulation of the Madden–Julian oscillation in the Hadley Centre model. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, 140 (684). pp. 2272-2286. ISSN 1477-870X doi: 10.1002/qj.2295
Shelly, A., Xavier, P., Copsey, D., Johns, T., Rodríguez, J. M., Milton, S. and Klingaman, N. (2014) Coupled versus uncoupled hindcast simulations of the Madden-Julian oscillation in the Year of Tropical Convection. Geophysical Research Letters, 41 (15). pp. 5670-5677. ISSN 0094-8276 doi: 10.1002/2013GL059062
King, A. D., Klingaman, N. P., Alexander, L. V., Donat, M. G., Jourdain, N. C. and Maher, P. (2014) Extreme rainfall variability in Australia: Patterns, drivers and predictability. Journal of Climate, 27 (15). pp. 6035-6050. ISSN 1520-0442 doi: 10.1175/JCLI-D-13-00715.1
Klingaman, N. and Woolnough, S. (2014) Using a case-study approach to improve the Madden-Julian oscillation in the Hadley Centre model. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, 140 (685). pp. 2491-2505. ISSN 1477-870X doi: 10.1002/qj.2314
Bush, S. J., Turner, A. G., Woolnough, S. J., Martin, G. M. and Klingaman, N. P. (2014) The effect of increased convective entrainment on Asian monsoon biases in the MetUM General Circulation Model. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society. ISSN 1477-870X doi: 10.1002/qj.2371
Klingaman, N., Woolnough, S. and Syktus, J. (2013) On the drivers of inter-annual and decadal rainfall variability in Queensland, Australia. International Journal of Climatology, 33 (10). pp. 2413-2430. ISSN 0899-8418 doi: 10.1002/joc.3593
Klingaman, N. P., Woolnough, S. J., Weller, H. and Slingo, J. M. (2011) The impact of finer-resolution air-sea coupling on the intraseasonal oscillation of the Indian monsoon. Journal of Climate, 24 (10). pp. 2451-2468. ISSN 1520-0442 doi: 10.1175/2010JCLI3868.1
Klingaman, N. P., Weller, H., Woolnough, S. J., Inness, P. M. and Slingo, J. M. (2009) Coupled simulations of the Indian monsoon intraseasonal oscillation using a fine-resolution mixed-layer ocean model. Proceedings of the ECMWF Workshop on Ocean-Atmosphere Interaction. pp. 195-205.
Klingaman, N. P., Inness, P.M., Weller, H. and Slingo, J.M. (2008) The Importance of High-Frequency Sea Surface Temperature Variability to the Intraseasonal Oscillation of Indian Monsoon Rainfall. Journal of Climate, 21 (23). pp. 6119-6140. ISSN 1520-0442 doi: DOI: 10.1175/2008JCLI2329.1
Klingaman, N. P., Weller, H., Slingo, J.M. and Inness, P.M. (2008) The intraseasonal variability of the Indian summer monsoon using TMI sea surface temperatures and ECMWF reanalysis. Journal of Climate, 21 (11). pp. 2519-2539. ISSN 1520-0442 doi: DOI: 10.1175/2007JCLI1850.1
Klingaman, N. P., Hanson, B. and Leathers, D.J. (2008) A teleconnection between forced Great Plains snow cover and European winter climate. Journal of Climate, 21 (11). pp. 2466-2483. ISSN 1520-0442 doi: DOI: 10.1175/2007JCLI1672.1
Klingaman, N. P., Butke, J., Leathers, D.J., Brinson, K.R. and Nickl, E. (2008) Mesoscale Simulations of the land surface effects of historical logging in a moist continental climate regime. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, 47 (8). pp. 2166-2182. ISSN 1558-8432 doi: 10.1175/2008JAMC1765.1
Klingaman, N. P., Levia, D. F. and Frost, E. E. (2007) A comparison of three canopy interception models for a leafless mixed deciduous forest stand in the eastern United States. Journal of Hydrometeorology, 8 (4). pp. 825-836. ISSN 1525-7541 doi: 10.1175/JHM564.1