Dr Steve Woolnough
Principal Research Fellow (NCAS-Climate)
My research: http://www.met.rdg.ac.uk/~swrwoono
Head of NCAS-Climate Tropical Group
- Tropical Climate Variability
- Tropical Convection
- Sub-seasonal to Seasonal Prediction
- Transitions between Suppressed and Active Convection coupled to large-scale tropical circulations (WTG): This project is looking at the interaction between convection and the large-scale tropical circulation using novel approaches for parametrizing the large-scale dynamics.
- Seasonal to Decadal Prediction for the Ipmrovement of European Climate Services (SPECS): As part of large EU project we're looking at the evolution and source of coupled biases in the tropical Pacific and Indian Oceans in the Met-Office and ECWMF seasonal forecasting systems
- Enhancing prediction of tropical Atlantic climate and its impacts (PREFACE): As part of a large EU project we're looking at the evolution and sources of coupled biases in the tropical Atlantic in the Met Office and other seasonal prediction systems
- Modelling Monsoon Systems (JWCRP-Monsoon): In collaboration with the Met Office we're evaluating the simulation of the Indian monsoon in the Met Office Climate model and its sensitivity to resolution and the representation of convection.
Postdoctoral & graduate student supervision
- Dr Stephanie Bush works on the simulation of the Indian Summer Monsoon in the Met Office Climate Models
- Dr Chimene Daleu works on the interactions between tropical convection and the large-scale circulation
- Dr Linda Hirons works on the role of air-sea interaction in sub-seasonal climate variability and in particular extremes.
- Dr Nick Klingaman works on the intraseasonal variability in the Indo-Pacific.
- Dr Jon Shonk works on the evolution of coupled model biases in the tropical climate system
- James Taylor is a PhD student investigating the sensitivity of the dynamical response to the vertical profile of tropical heating
- Dr Guiying Yang works on equatorial waves in observations and models.
- I am a member of the WGNE MJO task force
- I am a member of the WWRP-THORPEX/WCRP Subseasonal to Seasonal Prediction (S2S) Project Working Group
- I am a member of the GEWEX Global Atmospeheric Systems Studies (GASS) Panel
Klingaman, N. and Woolnough, S. (2013) The role of air–sea coupling in the simulation of the Madden–Julian oscillation in the Hadley Centre model. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society. ISSN 1477-870X doi: 10.1002/qj.2295 (In Press)
Tobin, I., Bony, S., Holloway, C. E., Grandpeix, J.-Y., Seze, G., Coppin, D., Woolnough, S. J. and Roca, R. (2013) Does convective aggregation need to be represented in cumulus parameterizations? Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems. ISSN 1942-2466 doi: 10.1002/jame.20047 (In Press)
Klingaman, N., Woolnough, S. and Syktus, J. (2013) On the drivers of inter-annual and decadal rainfall variability in Queensland, Australia. International Journal of Climatology, 33 (10). pp. 2413-2430. ISSN 0899-8418 doi: 10.1002/joc.3593
Pearson, K. J., Lister, G. M. S., Birch, C. E., Allan, R. P., Hogan, R. J. and Woolnough, S. J. (2013) Modelling the diurnal cycle of tropical convection across the "Grey Zone". Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society. ISSN 1477-870X doi: 10.1002/qj.2145
Holloway, C. E., Woolnough, S. J. and Lister, G. M. S. (2013) The effects of explicit versus parameterized convection on the MJO in a large-domain high-resolution tropical case study. Part I: Characterization of large-scale organization and propagation. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, 70 (5). pp. 1342-1369. ISSN 1520-0469 doi: 10.1175/JAS-D-12-0227.1
Toniazzo, T. and Woolnough, S. (2013) Development of warm SST errors in the southern tropical Atlantic in CMIP5 decadal hindcasts. Climate Dynamics. ISSN 0930-7575 doi: 10.1007/s00382-013-1691-2 (In Press)
Vannière, B., Guilyardi, E., Madec, G., Doblas-Reyes, F. J. and Woolnough, S. (2013) Using seasonal hindcasts to understand the origin of the equatorial cold tongue bias in CGCMs and its impact on ENSO. Climate Dynamics, 40 (3-4). pp. 963-981. ISSN 0930-7575 doi: 10.1007/s00382-012-1429-6
Holloway, C.E., Woolnough, S.J. and Lister, G.M.S. (2012) Precipitation distributions for explicit versus parameterized convection in a large-domain high-resolution tropical case study. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, 138. pp. 1692-1708. ISSN 1477-870X doi: 10.1002/qj.1903
Turner, A. G., Joshi, M., Robertson, E. S. and Woolnough, S. J. (2012) The effect of Arabian Sea optical properties on SST biases and the South Asian summer monsoon in a coupled GCM. Climate Dynamics, 39 (3-4). pp. 811-826. ISSN 1432-0894 doi: 10.1007/s00382-011-1254-3
Daleu, C. L., Woolnough, S. and Plant, R. S. (2012) Cloud-resolving model simulations with one and two-way couplings via the weak-temperature gradient approximation. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, 69 (12). pp. 3683-3699. ISSN 1520-0469 doi: 10.1175/JAS-D-12-058.1
Klingaman, N. P., Woolnough, S. J., Weller, H. and Slingo, J. M. (2011) The impact of finer-resolution air-sea coupling on the intraseasonal oscillation of the Indian monsoon. Journal of Climate, 24 (10). pp. 2451-2468. ISSN 1520-0442 doi: 10.1175/2010JCLI3868.1
Woolnough, S. J., Blossey, P.N., Xu, K.-M., Bechtold, P., Chaboureau, J.-P., Hosomi, T., Iacobellis, S.F., Luo, Y., Petch, J.C., Wong, R. and Xie, S. (2010) Modelling convective processes during the suppressed phase of the a Madden-Julian Oscillation: Comparing single-column models with cloud resolving models. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, 136 (647). pp. 333-353. ISSN 1477-870X doi: 10.1002/qj.568
Waliser, D., Sperber, K., Hendon, H., Kim, D., Maloney, E., Wheeler, M., Weickmann, K., Zhang, C., Donner, L., Gottschalck, J., Higgins, W., Kang, I.-S., Legler, D., Moncrieff, M., Schubert, S., Stern, W., Vitart, F., Wang , B., Wang, W. and Woolnough, S. J. (2009) MJO Simulation Diagnostics. Journal of Climate, 22 (11). pp. 3006-3030. ISSN 1520-0442 doi: 10.1175/2008JCLI2731.1
Klingaman, N. P., Weller, H., Woolnough, S. J., Inness, P. M. and Slingo, J. M. (2009) Coupled simulations of the Indian monsoon intraseasonal oscillation using a fine-resolution mixed-layer ocean model. Proceedings of the ECMWF Workshop on Ocean-Atmosphere Interaction. pp. 195-205.
Bernie, D.J., Guilyardi, E., Madec, G., Slingo, J.M., Woolnough, S.J. and Cole, J. (2008) Impact of resolving the diurnal cycle in an ocean-atmosphere GCM. Part 2: A diurnally coupled CGCM. Climate Dynamics, 31 (7-8). pp. 909-925. ISSN 0930-7575 doi: 10.1007/s00382-008-0429-z
Willett, M.R., Bechtold, P., Williamson, D.L., Petch, J.C., Milton, S.F. and Woolnough, S.J. (2008) Modelling suppressed and active convection: Comparisons between three global atmospheric models. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, 134 (636). pp. 1881-1896. ISSN 1477-870X doi: DOI: 10.1002/qj.317
Bernie, D. J., Guilyardi, E., Madec, G., Slingo, J. M. and Woolnough, S. W. (2007) Impact of resolving the diurnal cycle in an ocean-atmosphere GCM. Part 1: A diurnally forced OGCM. Climate Dynamics, 29 (6). pp. 575-590. ISSN 0930-7575 doi: DOI: 10.1007/s00382-007-0249-6
Petch, J. C., Willet, M., Wong, R. Y. and Woolnough, S. J. (2007) Modelling suppressed and active convection. Comparing a numerical weather predicition, cloud resolving and single-column model. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, 133 (626). pp. 1087-1100. ISSN 1477-870X doi: 10.1002/qj.109
Vitart, F., Woolnough, S. J., Balmaseda, M. A. and Tompkins, A. M. (2007) Monthly Forecasting of the Madden-Julian Oscillation using a coupled GCM. Monthly Weather Review, 135 (7). pp. 2700-2715. ISSN 0027-0644 doi: 10.1175/MWR3415.1
Woolnough, S. J., Vitart, F. and Balmaseda, M. A. (2007) The role of the ocean in the Madden-Julian Oscillation: Implications for MJO prediction. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, 133 (622). pp. 117-128. ISSN 1477-870X doi: DOI: 10.1002/qj.4
Bernie, D. J., Woolnough, S. J., Slingo, J. M. and Guilyardi, E. (2005) Modeling diurnal and intraseasonal variability of the ocean mixed layer. Journal Of Climate, 18 (8). pp. 1190-1202. ISSN 1520-0442
Woolnough, S. J., Slingo, J. M. and Hoskins, B. J. (2004) The diurnal cycle of convection and atmopheric tides in an aquaplanet. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, 61. pp. 2559-2573. ISSN 1520-0469 doi: 10.1175/JAS3290.1
Slingo, J., Inness, P., Neale, R., Woolnough, S. and Yang, G. (2002) Scale interactions on diurnal to seasonal timescales and their relevance to model systematic errors. Annals of Geophysics, 46 (1). pp. 139-155. ISSN 2037-416X doi: 10.4401/ag-3383
Inness, P. M., Slingo, J. M., Woolnough, S. J., Neale, R. B. and Pope, V. D. (2001) Organisation of tropical convection in a GCM with varying vertical resolution: Implications for the simulation of the Madden-Julian Oscillation. Climate Dynamics, 17 (10). pp. 777-793. ISSN 1432-0894 doi: 10.1007/s003820000148
Woolnough, S. J., Slingo, J. M. and Hoskins, B. J. (2001) The organisation of tropical convection by intraseasonal sea surface temperature anomalies. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, 127 (573). pp. 887-908. ISSN 1477-870X doi: 10.1002/qj.49712757310
Woolnough, S. J., Slingo, J. M. and Hoskins, B. J. (2000) The relationship between convection and sea surface temperature on intraseasonal timescales. Journal of Climate, 13 (12). pp. 2086-2104. ISSN 1520-0442 doi: 10.1175/1520-0442(2000)013<2086:TRBCAS>2.0.CO;2
Woolnough, S. J., Allen, J. R. L. and Wood, W.L. (1995) An exploratory numerical model of sediment deposition over tidal saltmarshes. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 41 (5). pp. 515-543. ISSN 0272-7714 doi: 10.1016/0272-7714(95)90025-X