Dr Simon Peatman
NCAS-Climate Research Scientist
Research interests:Tropical meteorology
- Indian monsoon
- Intraseasonal variability (BSISO and MJO)
- Equatorial waves
- Diurnal cycle
- Maritime Continent
See the bottom of this page for a list of publications, or for citation information see my Google Scholar profile.
My verified peer review record from Publons is here.
- March 2016 to February 2019 – Bay of Bengal Boundary Layer Experiment (BoBBLE) with Nick Klingaman
- June 2014 to February 2016 – Fundamental Influences of Large-Scale Wave Dynamics on Tropical Weather Systems with John Methven and Steve Woolnough
- Autumn 2016 – MT24C (Numerical Methods for Environmental Science) practicals
- April 2016 – Invited to the Workshop on Intraseasonal Processes and Prediction in the Maritime Continent, Singapore
- June 2015 – Attended the 1st WCRP Summer School on Climate Model Development (Moist Atmospheric Processes) at the Max Planck Institute for Meteorology (MPI-M) in Hamburg
- March 2015 – Contributed two "Peatman diagnostics", introduced in my 2015 paper on the MJO in HiGEM (Figures 6 and 7), to the Met Office for inclusion in the auto-assess system
- I have presented sessions in courses for school children run by the LASAR project (Learning About Science And Religion) in the Institute of Education
Publications for email@example.com
Birch, C. E., Webster, S., Peatman, S. C., Parker, D. J., Matthews, A. J., Li, Y. and Hassim, M. E. (2016) Scale interactions between the MJO and the western maritime continent. Journal of Climate, 29 (7). pp. 2471-2492. ISSN 1520-0442 doi: 10.1175/JCLI-D-15-0557.1
Peatman, S., Matthews, A. J. and Stevens, D. P. (2015) Propagation of the Madden–Julian Oscillation and scale interaction with the diurnal cycle in a high-resolution GCM. Climate Dynamics, 45 (9-10). pp. 2901-2918. ISSN 0930-7575 doi: 10.1007/s00382-015-2513-5
Peatman, S. C. (2014) The Madden-Julian Oscillation and the diurnal cycle over the Maritime Continent: scale interactions and modelling. PhD thesis, University of East Anglia.
Peatman, S. C., Matthews, A. J. and Stevens, D. P. (2014) Propagation of the Madden-Julian Oscillation through the Maritime Continent and scale interaction with the diurnal cycle of precipitation. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, 140 (680). pp. 814-825. ISSN 0035-9009 doi: 10.1002/qj.2161
Matthews, A. J., Pickup, G., Peatman, S. C., Clews, P. and Martin, J. (2013) The effect of the Madden-Julian Oscillation on station rainfall and river level in the Fly River system, Papua New Guinea. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 118 (19). 10,926-10,935. ISSN 2169-8996 doi: 10.1002/jgrd.50865