The global-scale impacts of climate change: QUEST-GSI
Key aim of QUEST-GSI:
The key aim of QUEST-GSI is to better quantify the impacts of climate change in a consistent way across the entire globe, and for a range of sectors such as: water resources, flooding, crops and human health.
The project is part of Theme 3 of the NERC funded QUEST programme.
Informing climate policy
Climate change impacts studies to date typically consider particular regions and sectors and use a wide range of socio-economic and climate scenarios. This makes it difficult to assess impacts at the global scale and to compare impacts for different socio-economic and climate futures. Furthermore it makes it difficult to assess the effectiveness of proposed policy measures to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and so reduce the impacts of climate change.
- What are the global-scale impacts for different levels of global temperature change?
- How are the impacts in different sectors interrelated?
- Where are the “hot spots”?
- How much will climate change mitigation and adaptation policies reduce “damages”?
Key aspects of the QUEST-GSI project
- Improved quantification of impacts and uncertainty
- Consistent analysis across different sectors and across the globe
- Interlinkages between the sectors
- Consideration of adaptation and vulnerability